1 — PREAMBLE
The University regulates the presence of pets in University buildings and on campus grounds in order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
2 — POLICY
- a. Pets are not permitted in University buildings and residences, with the exception of private apartments within the residences and special needs animals such as guide-dogs for the blind. Special needs animals are those animals that have documented specialized training to provide services for a person with a disability. When applying this policy, should there be doubt as to whether an animal is a special needs animal the Director of Facilities Management may consult with University officials, such as the Director, Accessibility and Student Wellness or Director of Human Resources, for clarification.
- b. All pets on University property must be on a leash and restrained from running loose on campus.
- c. Individuals are responsible for clean-up of property from animal droppings.
- d. Violations of this policy should be reported to the building manager or to Facilities Management. Students may report violations to the Director of Student Life.
3 — APPLICATION OF POLICY
- a) This policy does not apply to animals used for research purposes on campus. Please see https://mountallison.sharepoint.com/sites/Teaching-research-creative-activity/SitePages/Animal-Care-Committee.aspx more details on animals used for research.