Declaring a major or a minor

To declare a major and/or minor program, submit the declaration of a major/minor form. This form can also be used to change the academic calendar you are following.

BA and BSc students must formally declare a major area of study and a minor by the end of their second year (or upon completion of 54 credits). Alternatively, students can declare a double major or a triple minor.

BComm students must formally declare a minor in a non-Commerce discipline by the end of their second year. In lieu of a minor, students may opt to complete a major area of study.

What if I'm unsure about my major and/or minor?

If you are unsure about your major and/or minor program, contact an academic advisor or a program advisor for help in exploring your options.

How to I declare a specially approved major and/or minor?

Direct approval of the academic dean, in consultation with the Registrar, is required for specially approved majors/minors. Approval must be obtained by the end of the third year but advanced planning is recommended. 

This type of major/minor gains its coherence from a carefully thought-out combination of available courses which has not received prior authorization from Senate. Students are advised to consult with appropriate faculty to develop a proposal. 

Students may apply online using the dean's permission request form through Connect

Questions can be directed to

Once you've declared a major and/or minor

By declaring a major/minor you will ensure that:

  • you maintain full access to course registration in Connect
  • Program Evaluation in Connect is accurate and useful as you select courses
  • you receive important notices about program information and departmental events 
  • academic advisors have accurate information to provide you with proper assistance
  • your student records are up to date and confirmation of enrolment letters are accurate


Pursuing an honours program

Students considering an honours program are advised to consult with the appropriate department head and/or program advisor about course selection, thesis supervision, and application processes. Some departments maintain an internal application process which students should also complete.

To apply, complete the declaration to pursue honours form.

When should I apply for the honours program?

Students applying for an honours program must declare their intention in year three, by December by completing the declaration to pursue honours form.

The application will be forwarded to the appropriate department for signed approval of the department head.

You will be notified of the status of your application to pursue honours sometime after final grades for the current academic year have been received pending receipt of departmental approval.

Do I qualify for the honours program?

Please note that at time of application, to be considered for honours, students should have achieved the following:

  • a minimum cumulative grade point average of approximately 3.0 on all course work in the prescribed honours program (includes courses required for the major program as well as additional courses required to complete honours)
  • an overall cumulative grade point average of approximately 3.0 on all work undertaken beyond the first year at Mount Allison (excludes all courses taken in first year)
Will I still need a minor?

The requirements for honours extend beyond that of the major, and so the regulation requiring a minor is waived (except for students pursuing Commerce with honours.)

Any student who completes a minor from another discipline or program, will have this minor recorded on their transcript. 

Where a minor is completed there is no limit on the number of credits which may be counted in common between the honours and minor.


Pursuing an undergraduate certificate

Any Mount Allison student can pursue an undergraduate certificate as part of their degree program. Certificates must be taken at the same time as your Mount Allison degree and must be combined with a major/degree program.

To apply, complete the declaration to pursue a certificate form.


Questions? We're here to help!

Contact the Registrar's Office at or call (506) 364-2269.