What you need to know as a student employee.

More than 700 students work at the University both part-time during the academic year and full-time through the summer months.

Looking for student job opportunities?


Once you're hired

Social Insurance Number

In order to be employed by the University you will need to have an active Social Insurance Number (SIN).

If you do not have a SIN please apply for one before you begin working as you will not be able to work and be paid until you have received the notification with your number.

Setting up your payroll

If you're not already in our payroll system, you'll be contacted to complete two payroll forms: the Personal Tax Credits Return and the New Brunswick Personal Tax Credits Return.

You'll also be asked to provide a void cheque or a direct deposit form from your bank. Your pay will be deposited to your bank account which must be with a financial institution in Canada.

Once these forms are completed, drop them off at the Department of People and Culture located at Centennial Hall, 3rd floor. Do NOT email the forms.

While you're an employee

Entering your hours

Students can enter their hours in our web time entry system in Self Service.

How to enter your hours
  • Log in to Self Service
  • Enter your MtA username and password
  • Once logged in, go into the "Employee" section
  • Then select "Time Entry" to fill your timecard

Enter your time

Make note of the date ranges listed on the left hand side of the screen and ensure that you enter your hours on the day(s) that you worked for accurate recording. Each pay period will be broken down into two one-week periods.

Select the blue arrow on the right hand side to enter your time worked for each position that you hold for the selected week.

Once you are in the selected pay week you'll see a list of all your active positions. You can toggle back and forth between workweeks on this page by using the navigational arrows towards the top-left. You will also be able to save your time entries before submitting your timecard for supervisor approval.

When you select a position, that you want to enter hours for, a timecard entry section will become visible. Here you’ll want to enter the hours that you’ve worked in that particular position for each day of the week. Once completed, you can either select to “Save” your entry, which will allow you to come back into the system and make edits to your timecard at a later date or “Submit for Approval”, which will send your timecard to your supervisor for approval.

Should there be anything you want to communicate to your supervisor while submitting your hours for approval, you’ll want to enter them in the “Comments” section before selecting the “Submit for Approval” option.

Holiday hours

To enter any of your worked holiday hours open the drop down menu by clicking on “+ Additional Time” and select the “Worked Holiday Hours” option from the dropdown menu menu.

If you have worked on a holiday you will need to enter the number of hours you actually worked that day in the “Worked Holiday Hours” box so you are paid accordingly. Do not enter any hours for the holiday on the “Regular Pay” line.
Once completed, save your entry or submit for approval.


Time entry editing/approval cut-off:

  • Students: last Saturday of the pay period at noon
  • Supervisors: Monday at midnight following the end of a pay period

For assistance:

  • with navigating the system or approval issues, contact Andrea Phinney at aphinney@mta.ca
  • for system access issues or problems with the Self Serve Time Entry System, contact the Help Desk at (506) 364-2473 or email helpdesk@mta.ca

Getting paid

Student employees are paid on the bi-weekly payroll schedule being paid every second Thursday.

Pay statements, salary of record, T4s and T4As are provided electronically through Self Service

How to access your employment records
  • Log in to Connect
  • Select menu item "Connect for Employees"

To Access Electronic Pay Statements

  • Select menu item "pay statements"
  • Select the pay date for the pay statement you wish to view or print (note: if you need to maximize the window to view your entire pay statement and a blank window then appears, click on the refresh button at the top of the page)
  • Once you finish viewing your pay statement click "close window" and remember to log out

To access your T4 slips:

  • You must consent to receive your T4 and T4A electronically in order to give consent select menu item "T4/T4A electronic consent". You will see two options available, please read each option and click in the circle next to the option to choose your preference for receiving your T4 and/or T4A slip. Once you have chosen your option click on "submit" to save your choice.
  • If you have given consent, select menu item "T4 slips". You will see a security message, click "no".
  • Select the tax year you want to access.
  • Click at the top right hand corner to close the PDF of your T4.
  • Once you finish viewing your T4 slip click "close window" and remember to log out.

To access your T4A slips:

  • Select menu item "view my T4A information"
  • Select the tax year for the T4A slip you want to access
  • Once you finish viewing your T4A click "close window" and remember to log out

To request an Record of Employment please send an email payroll@mta.ca and provide the reason for the request.


If you have any problems accessing Self Service, please contact the CSD Help Desk at helpdesk@mta.ca.

If you have any questions about your pay statement, T4, T4A or salary of record, please contact the Department of People and Culture at payroll@mta.ca or call (506) 364-2161.